Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Florida Death Penalty -
- They Need to Study Veterinarians

Last Saturday I had to take my dog to the vet and have her put down. Old age and she could hardly take the single step up into the house.

I held her to keep her from being scared and not once did she even shiver or tremor. Completely painless except for one needle puncture. Less than 5 minutes from the time I picked her up onto the table to the time she started getting cold. Not a bit of pain or discomfort on her part. I'm positive I felt more hurt than she did. I cried. She didn't.

I asked the doctor why it was so easy for my dog to be put to sleep and yet with criminals it is such a long drawn out process?


MIAMI, Dec. 14 — A convicted murderer was put to death by lethal injection on Wednesday, but he took more than a half-hour to die and required a second dose of the chemicals, prompting Gov. Jeb Bush to call for a review of the execution.

The convict, Angel N. Diaz, 55, was pronounced dead at 6:36 p.m., 34 minutes after receiving the first lethal injection at the Florida State Prison in Starke, 23 miles northeast of Gainesville. Normally, death occurs within 15 minutes.

Witnesses said Mr. Diaz appeared to be moving after the first injection was administered, seemingly squinting and grimacing, at times appearing to mouth words.

NYT - 15 Dec 06
~~~~~
Fox News has an article stating that the needles were inserted through the vein and into soft tissue.


The doctor's reply, simply stated was that the authorities have a series of procedures that is needless. They make it chock full of unnecessary rules that prolong the process.

I was not going to mention on my blog about putting my dog down but then I came across a post over on Bill's Comments with the title, Hi-tech death. His bottom line and a statement I agree with is, "...this attempt to be humane when executing convicted killers and those convicted of treason, is an oxy-moron. Humane is getting it over with, not trying to make it painless."

~~~~~

Technorati Tags -
-
-
-