Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sonorous

I got an email from Patri-ette who had borrowed The Violence Worker's website while he is on vacation. She was answering a comment I had made that referenced Barbara Streisand. In it she said, " She is another one of the Hollywood liberal elite that believe that we are entitled to her sonorous opinion."

I loved the adjective 'sonorous'! So much so that I had to use it so I thought I would in conjunction with this post.

~~~~~~~~~
From Dictionary.com
sonorous \suh-NOR-uhs; SAH-nuh-rus\, adjective:
1. Giving sound when struck; resonant; as, sonorous metals.
2. Loud-sounding; giving a clear or loud sound; as, a sonorous voice.
3. Yielding sound; characterized by sound; as, the vowels are sonorous.
4. Impressive in sound; high-sounding.
~~~~~~~~~
Last night saw a group of kids outside a Starbucks in a local shopping center parking lot. One of them had his car stereo just blasting and rattling windows a block away. I am always envious of those who are oblivious to others around them. If I cared for my fellow man in the same fashion I could get away with a lot more and might still have a clean conscience. Well these kids seemed intent on entertaining the world for as far as they could distribute sound waves.

I went up to the car owner and loudly asked him if he ever heard the word, "distortion"?

He turned down the (so called) music and I again, not as loudly, asked, "Have you ever heard the word, 'distortion'"?

He said, Huh?

I said, "With the volume level turned up so high all you are getting is distortion. The sound has ceased to be music." I then walked away. The kids started hooting at me and I kept walking but turned and said, "Go ahead. Turn it back up."

He hadn't by the time I had gone.

At least I gave the world a few moments of peace and quiet.