Sunday, November 29, 2009

Spam using my email address

Lately I've gotten two spams returned to me as 'undeliverable'. They are abusing my email address. The headers show the original spammers 'from' location as being persons names not associated with prying1. My apologies if you have received spam this way.

"Julia Chase" and "Joseph Francis" are two names used. I suspect there will be more. "Buy quality and safe medications here." and "Same quality of meds for lower prices." are two of the subject lines. Both had links to livejournal.com pages that have been suspended. Kudos to Live Journal for staying on top of their website.

Forged headers are nothing new and years ago I've gotten nasty emails from people that said I gave them a virus. Clicking on links and attachments in emails from people you do not know is not the way to do it.

Even if an email does come addressed from someone you know if it seems fishy it is a simple matter to call or email your friend and ask them if they sent it. So a day passes before you get to see whatever it is they sent. More than once I've done this and found that a spammer was abusing a friends email address.

Be careful out there. The Internet can be a mean and nasty place.
~~~~~
Technorati Tags -
-
-
-

~~~~~