Friday, November 11, 2005

Did I Miss Something?

Christmas has come early this year.

I'm not counting the one time in July that I was shopping and said to a woman pushing a basket past me, "Do you hear that?"

"What?"

"The music."

She listens to the canned music from the speakers overhead. She laughs. I laugh. Strains of Christmas songs were coming from on high. We shared our faith for a few moments and continued on our separate ways.
.....
What I'm really writing about is that it seems the stores have skipped a major American holiday. The day before Halloween I saw one store pulling down the haunting displays, setting the trick or treat candy on sale and putting up yuletide decorations.

I asked one of the employees what happened to Thanksgiving. He said, "I just work here, I don't make decisions." He seemed a bit embarrassed about the task he was performing. I don't blame him at all. I'd be doing the same thing were I to have his job. You do what the boss tells you. Although I don't think I would be full of Christmas Cheer while doing it. I'd be mumbling imprecations beneath my breath about the 'suits' stealing Thanksgiving.

Not only is Christmas early this year the Grinch has come early too. This time he stole the only national holiday designed to thank the Living God for all of His grace, mercy and blessings...