Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dubai Ports World Occupation of U.S. Terminals

I've finally decided that the DP World use of U.S. ports is not an evil that will come back to bite us in the butts. I've been leaning that way for a while now. Mainly because I find myself arguing in favor of it every time I talk to anyone about it. Most people in this country are woefully uninformed about both sides of the issue. Of course most people in this country are woefully uninformed about a lot of things (including yours truly).

Cruising about the blogosphere I came across "I don't need a Tuxedo" who put a lot of the entire affair into a perspective that I felt comfortable with. Check his post - Port Security Tango -

'I Don't Need a Tuxedo' and I differ on many points in politics (including his bit re: Iraq at the end of his DPW post) our agreement on this matter shows how 'across the line' this subject is. I totally agree with him re: the politicos using it to show
they are tough on terrorism.


Quote - Now we're faced with a slew of bills from bipartisan but opportunistic legislators, all of whom want to score some political points by appearing "tough on security." What they'll actually end up doing is making us look even more ridiculous to foreign countries by making it clear that we don't think it's safe to do business with the A-Arabs. They'll discourage foreign investment, doing further harm to our struggling economy, while not doing anything to make us substantively more safe.

Hey! Representatives! How about focusing all of that energy on legislation to actually improve security at those ports? - end quote -



Technorati Tags -
-
-
-
-