Sunday, April 01, 2007

"Christian Traditions" turn to the East

Marsh West has written an article posted at The Conservative Voice - Gnosticism, Contemplative Prayer and Other "Christian Traditions" in which she tells of outfits like the Emergent Church teaching Eastern Mysticism and Gnosticism to it followers.

She gives as a definition of Gnosticism the following:


Christian Gnosticism is the belief that one must have a "gnosis" (from Greek "Gnosko," to know) or inner knowledge which is mystical knowledge obtained only after one has been properly initiated. Only a few can possess this mystical knowledge, limiting the number of those "in the know".


This is the same sort of attitude of those that bought into Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. The desire to be in "The Know". To have some "Special Revelation" that others did not have and thereby be above others.

A good name for this attitude is self centeredness. - Here is a News Flash - God has given to mankind (and womankind) His Word, the Bible. AND He has sent His Holy Spirit to lead and guide us individually and collectively. We don't need "Special Insight" that others do not have. We do need to get our own insight in line with the Word by reading the Bible and talking with God about it. (Prayer - speaking and listening) -

Check out Marsha West's article. I found it to be quite informative and "Right On!" (to quote my favorite line from the 70's).

My comment to Marsha West's posting is:
When I first became a Christian (back in the early 70's) I got hold of a book on yoga meditation and very briefly started practicing it. All I got from it was the feeling that I was wasting time better spent reading God's Word, the Bible.

It was in the 80's I was reading the Bible and came across a scripture (I wish I could remember which one but...) that as I reread it I could see that the meaning of it could be taken so many different ways.

I said, "Lord, Your word is so amazing. It can be so simple or it can be so complicated!"

The voice of the Lord came back at me and said, "Keep it simple stupid."



~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

Technorati Tags -
-
-
-