Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Regarding Bush's Illegal Alien Speech

The Illegal Alien Speech President Bush gave last night was pretty good. He (and our country) is stuck between a rock and a hard place so there has to be some compromise. Some in this country would prefer everyone here illegally be shipped out. Some would rather give everyone here illegally citizenship and throw open the gates come one come all.

There is a middle ground and it looks like Bush got pretty close to center.

BUT

What needs to be done

first

is to build walls and fences to stop the flow from Mexico. - Go ahead and call me a racist. I could care less. The majority of Americans of Mexican and other south of the border countries heredity agree with me. Let's call them racists too while we are at it. Hell! Lets call every man woman and child a racist that has ever looked askance or been rude to someone with different skin shade than theirs.

But I digress.

There needs to be a method to stop the flow of Illegal Immigrants and a wall/fence is the first line of defense. (no pun intended) - But then we had this on the Hugh Hewitt Radio Show after the speech. - Hugh Hewitt interviewing Julie Myers -

Quotes from Radioblogger's Transcript (~~~~~ = I left out parts here)


HH: Right now, I'm joined from Washington by the Assistant Secretary for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, Julie Myers. Ms. Myers, welcome to the Hugh Hewitt Show.

JM: Oh, thanks for having me, Hugh.

HH: It's great to have you on. When the President said high tech fence, what was he talking about? How long will it be?

JM: Well, he is talking about, kind of thinking about a combination of surveillance and manpower and infrastructure, that the border patrol is seeking to do over a period of several years.

HH: But in terms of actual fencing , how many miles are we talking about?

JM: Well, in terms of actual fencing, I think they're still looking at kind of what makes most sense in terms of surveillance and manpower and actual infrastructure.

HH: Is he committed, though? Did you have a talk with him about extending, for example, the San Diego fence, which is 1,400 miles long, and the El Paso fence, which is many miles long, double, and sometimes triple barrier fencing? Is that on the table?

JM: I think certainly all options are on the table to be most effective in terms of fencing. I am actually more the interior enforcement person, so I have not been involved in any direct discussions regarding the specifics of the fence.

HH: So we're still unclear of how far the administration is committed to actual fencing on the border? I mean, concrete, physical fencing?

JM: Well, certainly I'm not prepared to go further than what the President talked about tonight.

HH: And there were no specifics in terms of miles on that.

JM: That's correct.

HH: All right. That's disappointing, but let's move on.
~~~~~~
HH: So I'm back to the fencing conversation. If fencing is the best way to stop them at the border, why don't we have a plan laid out for that?

JM: Well, you know, I don't think we think that fencing is the best way to stop them on the border. I think the President's called for...if you build a fence, they build a tunnel. We just saw that today. There was another tunnel destroyed, another, excuse me, another tunnel found over in the San Diego area. So you can't...given the kind of the layout of our land, I believe it's the President's view, it's the border patrol's view, that a fence alone is not enough. We need a layered approach that includes surveillance, personnel, technology. We are working with the military to make sure we have the best technology. And some places, a fence may be very effective, but some places, it's simply not.

HH: Assistant Secretary Myers, correct me if I'm wrong. I think you just walked the administration back from the fence.

JM: I...no, I said consistent with what the border patrol chief's been telling me all along, he's been telling me what he needs, the combination of all these things. You look at the particular location, the particular terrain, and you decide what's most effective. You don't want something people can scale in two minutes and then be in the desert, and then you just have put people on the other side of the fence.

HH: But the idea that the fact that someone can dig a tunnel undermines the idea that a fence is effective...we'll come back.
~~~~~



So. Did Julie Meyers say that because someone might tunnel under a fence they won't build it? This is why I'll believe it when I see it.

That this issue has been ignored by politicians for generations is treasonous. Bush's speech was pretty good BUT Congress and the Senate will have a different opinion on what's best. Many of them want Illegal Aliens to register and vote for them. That is why I suggest going over to SEND-A-BRICK.COM and join in on all the fun.
~~~~~
The Send-A-Brick Project was created by concerned citizens to send bricks to Washington encouraging our Congressmen to stand tough on border security.

Each brick sends a message to our Senators and Representatives that we want our borders secured before any other action is taken on illegal immigration.


Technorati Tags -
-
-
-