Sunday, May 14, 2006

Let's Start Flogging the Bloggers!

Maybe someone out there can help me decide. I know the English language, especially in the U.S. continually shifts and changes. Sometimes it depends on which side of the city you come from. Sometimes which side of the country. But words have to have specific definitions for accurate communication.

Maybe I'm making a bigger thing of this than I should.

Here is the problem. Sometimes I blogsurf and see that people refer to their individual entries in their blogs, posts if you will, as blogs. Initially I wonder if they mean ALL their ballyhooing combined or just the piece of the day. Quite often, checking the context, it is that entry alone they are writing of.

Checking I find this:

  • Main Entry: blog
  • Part of Speech: noun
  • Definition: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page; also called Weblog, Web log
  • Example: Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.
  • Etymology: shortened form of Weblog
  • Usage: blog, blogged, blogging v, blogger n


Nowhere does it suggest that individual entries are called blogs. The entire diary or weblog is called a blog.

Now, My question is, Should I write a comment and (politely) suggest they get it straight? email them with the definitions? Or ignore it and surf on.

I have a feeling that I'll be flogging a dead blog until the cows come home before the world gets this straight. Am I the only one that is bugged by this?

Technorati Tags -