Monday, November 13, 2006

Lieberman Stands Strong On His Principles

From Boston.com - Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut said yesterday that he will caucus with Senate Democrats in the new Congress, but he would not rule out switching to the Republican caucus if he starts to feel uncomfortable among Democrats.


"I'm going to caucus with the Democrats both because it's good for my constituents in Connecticut, because I retained my seniority, I become a committee chair, but also I want to continue to work to bring the party back to its historic traditions of strength on national security, foreign policy, and innovation and progress in domestic policy," Lieberman said.

.....
He was asked about the possibility that he might switch caucuses if he became uncomfortable as Democrats sought to enforce party discipline, particularly if the GOP offered to keep him as a committee chairman and respect his seniority.

"I'm not ruling it out, but I hope I don't get to that point. And, and I must say, and with all respect to the Republicans who supported me in Connecticut, nobody ever said, 'We're doing this because we, we want you to switch over,' " he said.

"I believe that the American people are considering both major political parties to be in a kind of probation, because they're understandably angry that Washington is dominated too much by partisan political games, and not enough by problem-solving and patriotism, which means put the country and your state first," Lieberman said.


~~~~~
prying1 sez: Lets pray the Dems, led by Pelosi, Michael Moore, Daily KOS, etc., tick the good Senator off enough to switch parties. It would be rather fitting and quite a turn of events. Similarly the shoe was on the other foot in 2001 when Jeffords (VT) switched from R to D changing an evenly divided Senate to a Democrat majority. This would make it 50-50...

I don't think Lieberman is the kind of person to set his principles aside just to appease foaming at the mouth lefties.


~~~~~~

Technorati Tags -
-
-
-