Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thank a Veteran

Have you ever noticed how some greetings and statements become mindless, rote words with no meaning behind them. I thought of this while checking the comments on News, Views 'n Opinions. I had made a comment on Jon's post, I wish the MSM and Dems would wait - 3Jun06 - and was checking back to see if anything new had been added to the thread. There was.

I had thanked Jon for his service in the U.S. military.

He had replied:
Your welcome and thank you for saying it. I wish more people would thank our current men and women in the military that are in harms way and stop attacking them. They volunteered to defend our country and its freedom and just because these Anti-War pansy's don't like the fact that we are in Iraq and Afghanistan doesn't mean they should be blasting our troops every chance they get.

This got me to thinking that I had really meant the thank you and every time I say it to vets I really mean it. I think about it before saying it and it is not like a, "How you doin'" sort of thing.

Then cruising around hitting my blogroll this morning I pass by I'm Thinking of the "O" Word... and Cary Cartter has posted Remembering D-Day - 6Jun06 -

I missed it.

I had heard nothing about the 6-6-6 day being the anniversary of the turning point of WWII. - I had heard quite a bit about it being the Devil's Day (see previous post) and such but not a word did I hear about it being D-Day. - I will say in my defense that I do not read newspapers and often times at work the shop is too loud for me to hear the radio. In condemnation I did not visit I'm Thinking of the "O" Word... for 2 days...

Cary will forgive me because the Bible tells him to.

I said all that to say this. I do not think that saying, "Thank you for your service!" will ever become a rote statement for me. If you hear me say it I will mean it.

I hope that the same goes for you and that you say it every time you meet a vet.

~~~~~~~~~~
Technorati Tags -
-
-
-