Sunday, April 03, 2005

Word of the Day

This being Sunday and all I figured I will give a touch of what went on in the church I attend (I would say, "My church" but I don't want to offend anyone who thinks of the church as always being 'universal';-)

Anyway, two things that really hit home. One is that the past week has predominately been centered around 'death'. Both Terri Schiavo and the Pope. But we have been told in the Word that, "death is swallowed up in victory". Through Jesus, Who conquered death through His resurrection, we need not fear it. It is simply a portal to a better place.

The second thing I caught was that through Jesus we have true freedom. Freedom from the effects of sin. Freedom from chains (habits) that bind us up. Freedom from oppression and depression that can so easily beset us.

This freedom can be found in a commitment to put good habits, thoughts and actions into our lives. Over time the bad habits, thoughts and actions will be pushed out of our hearts. I don't mean to make it sound easy because it does take a commitment that can be broken in a moment. Here is where the power of Jesus Christ comes in.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our
sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" - I John 1:9 -

Jumping the hurdle of self righteousness, pride or shame mixed with a dash of prayer will bring us into contact with Him and He will set our feet back on the path He has set before us.